Small changes – big results
We all know the New Year is a popular time to make big, life changing resolutions. Whether that’s giving up smoking, saving more and spending less, exercising more or learning a new skill – all great resolutions, but making big changes can be tough and disheartening if you get a little sidetracked.
Aim for achievable
Rather than making sweeping changes, try setting yourself smaller ‘bite-size’ goals, which are achievable and will add up to a happy mind and body throughout the year.
Here are our favourite tips to get you started on your road to success for 2020:
- Get organised – with your new 2020 diary and a cup of tea, spend some time adding in all your key dates for the year. Birthdays, anniversaries, dental exams, holidays, days out, exercise classes, volunteering – anything and everything that you’d like to do throughout the year. Once it’s in the diary, you’re less likely to forget or run out of time.
- Share your goals – set up a message group with likeminded friends who are looking to achieve their goals throughout 2020. Sharing your goals and successes is a great way to stay on track.
- Squeeze in exercise – as well as your regular run, gym or exercise session, add in a few minutes of extra exercise to your day. Take the stairs, go for a walk around the block at lunchtime or do some at-home weights while you’re cooking dinner.
- Enjoy your photos – spend an evening going through all the photos on your phone and then print your favourites to display around the home. We all take so many photos, however most of them stay in our pockets. Try PhotoBox or Snapfish for cost effective quick prints – or if you’re looking for something different, try Mixtiles.
- Audio power – whether you’re driving to work, walking, running or at home, podcasts and audio books are a fantastic way to pass the time. You might choose to catch up with your favourite radio show, fitness expert or the latest novel that you don’t have time to sit and read. It's multi-tasking as its best!
- Share your time – it’s easy to forget how valuable time can be. Most of us can spare a couple of hours a month to help a cause close to our hearts. If you want to get involved, check local Facebook groups, noticeboards and charity websites to see how you can make a real difference.
- Declutter – it feels overwhelming to think about decluttering your home, so often we leave it for another time. Instead of considering every room, cupboard and drawer, make a list of individual spaces you can get done in an hour and you’ll soon see results.
- Embrace NTATT time – make a No Technology At The Table rule. With so many distractions on our phones, it’s easy to fall into the habit of scrolling through your phone during mealtimes. Pop everyone’s phones in a drawer or different room – and talk!
- Try meditation – just 5 to 10 minutes of meditation a day can help to decrease stress levels and help you to understand your emotions, leading to a happier more content you.
- Don’t forget water – we’ve all heard it before, but it’s true. Keeping your body hydrated is important for the mind and body. Treat yourself to a reusable drinks bottle and keep it with you at all times. When you’re out and about, check the Refill app for your nearest free Refill Station.